Some dads are great at playing ball.
Some dads are great at watching it.
Some dads are great at making money.
Some dads are great at spending it.
Some dads are great musicians.
Some dads are great at listening to music.
Some dads are great handymen.
Some dads are great at finding handymen.
Some dads are great employers.
Some dads are great employees.
Some dads are great drivers.
Some dads are great "backseat" drivers.
Some dads are great teachers.
Some dads are great learners.
Some dads are great at listening.
Some dads are great at giving advice.
My dad...he's not just GREAT though...he's the VERY BEST!
I've struggled the last little while with the "craziness' in my life. I suppose I COULD say..."It's not fair!", but I won't, because we all know that 'fair' is a place where we go to ride the Ferris Wheel...(at least this is what I tell my children when life dishes them some they don't like!)
Life is a time to learn and grow from the trials placed before us. Trials mold and shape us. They help determine who we are and what we will become. (Well...this is what I hear.)
This morning, as I knelt down to say my prayers, I suppose I was feeling a little sorry for myself. The last 3 years have brought with them a lot of trials...some of which, I must admit, were amongst my greatest fears. The last 3 years have been extremely challenging...physically, spiritually and mentally...BUT...the last 3 years have also been some of the most spiritually uplifting too!
I have witnessed many miracles...some greater than others...but all in all they were miracles provided by a loving, Heavenly Father, on both mine and my families behalf.
This morning...in all it's "craziness", I couldn't help but feel sorry for myself and our situation.
I wasn't quite sure what to pray for.
I prayed.
Then I called my dad.
I told him that I was still having a difficult time trying to figure it things out. I wasn't sure what to do. I still had questions that I wasn't sure Father in Heaven was answering. What did He have in mind for me and my little family and what steps should we take next. I told him that I felt badly for not knowing what to pray for. Then came the advice...
"Sarah...pray & be thankful".
He went on to say..."Gratitude!"
"That is the answer. In this crazy world, that is sometimes the only answer!"
"Pray and be thankful for all of your miracles and blessings. Name them one by one. Just like the song says. Start at the very beginning of your time. Be grateful for a healthy body, your family that you were privileged to be raised around, your opportunity to be raised with the true gospel in your life. Be grateful for knowledge and lessons learned, for those gone before you, whom sacrificed so much. Be grateful!"
He continued...
"I think Father in Heaven just wants us to be grateful!" he said.
He then proceeded to tell me the "J's" in his life that he was thankful for and for the great things that they each stood for....
As I sat and pondered about the things my father spoke of,
it gave me an idea as well. Something to keep my mind from dwelling on the current situation.
I decided to make my own list of things that I am thankful for... beginning with the first letter in the alphabet.
...A...
Apostles...from the past and those present.
Arizona and the clear blue skies and beautiful sunsets!
Applesauce...Wyndel loves it too!
Ann, Anna...all of the Ann's and Anna's in my life!
April...because it's the most beautiful month in the Valley of the Sun...when everything blooms!
Apple tree's....I love my apple trees!
Art...good stuff...pictures of the Savior and children.
America
American Flag's
Aunt's (not the one's that bite!)
Adventure's
Antibiotics...especially when my little guys are sick!c
Automobile's...especially miracle trucks!
Angels...especially mine!
Agency
Atonement....
Argument's that I win...just kidding...sort of!
Amusement parks...love the roller coasters!
Animals
Ancestors
Answered prayers
Anniversary's
Act's of kindness
Address's...proves I have a place to live!
APS...even though my power bill's can be extremely outrageous...at least I have power!
Apple boxes...they store junk efficiently and stack nicely!
Asparagus...YUM
Appetizers
Already prepared meals!
All my children
Advice...good stuff...
Aaronic Priesthood holders
Alpha Omega...enough said!
As for the GREATEST DAD...Thanks! I needed the Advice!
No comments:
Post a Comment