Saturday, December 7, 2019

Faith & Action


After reading a fellow students comments this week, I was reminded that "Faith without works is dead".  This is something we have tried to teach our children   We must do our part and often that takes "action" from us.  When we have tried our best to do our part then the Lord, if it is His will, will pick up the rest.  
As I was studying this topic, I read that faith is an action word.  I really like this.  It struck me.  I'd never really thought of faith as an action word.  It is more than a passive belief. We express our faith by the way we live our lives and through our actions.  In the scriptures we read that if we have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, we can have the power to do "whatsoever thing is expedient" in Jesus Christ (Moroni 7:33).  When we have faith in the Savior, we are motivated to follow Him.  We strive to become more like Him.  We keep the commandments.  We repent.  We love our neighbor.  We serve.

There are so many fine examples in the scriptures of people who express their faith through their actions. For example, the story of the widow who is preparing to make her last meal for herself and her son is a wonderful example of faith and action.
As she is preparing to make their last meal with what little "meal and oil" she had left, Elijah approaches her....“Fear not,” he said to her, “but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son.”  She didn't know who he was.  She graciously went and did.  Her faith and action blessed her tremendously both physically and spiritually.

I love this time of year because I think this is when you see faith in action and people at their finest.  People are kinder.  Charity seems to be more abundant.  People love.  People serve.  People tend to be on their best behavior...Not because Santa is making a list and checking it twice, but because they genuinely want to do good...to be good...to be more Christlike. I wonder what the world would be like if we treated every day like it was Christmas?



No comments: