Friday, May 22, 2009

The Dime Collection...

After my friend Mimi told me the meaning of a "found dime", I have had a difficult time spending any...

One day, I was tending Mimi's girls. She came to pick them up and while preparing to leave, was blinded by something round and shiny on my front porch steps. As she reached the bottom step, she excitedly announced, "I found a dime! This shiny, little thing was blinding me!" I laughed at her. She was so happy to have found a simple little dime. I found it interesting that she was making such a huge deal of it, and so I asked her..."So, what's the big deal with the dime?" She then proceeded to tell me the story of "The found dime"...

About a year or two before, her brother, whom she was quite close to, passed away. It was a very difficult trial for her and for her mother. While listening to a talk show one day after his death, her mother was intrigued with a certain woman's comments about finding dimes everywhere she went. The psychic, that was the guest on the show that day, asked her if she had lost a loved one recently...confused, the woman stated that she had. She then proceeded to inform the woman that "Finding dimes was a way for her loved one to let her know that he/she was thinking of her."

After Mimi's mother heard this, she too began to find dimes everywhere she went. She shared the story with her daughter, Mimi, who then shared it with me...Only, I never imagined it affecting my life the way it did Mimi's and her mother's! She shared the story with me only day's before Waylon left our presence here on earth.

Could it be true? You be the judge...

Waylon left our side on the evening of Thursday, March 13th. That Saturday, Mimi invited me to the salon where she works, for a much needed "break". A sweet act of service that I will never be able to repay. She washed my hair, and pampered me. She cried with me and my sisters and mother as we all sat and discussed the prior few days. As I fished in my purse for something, (I don't remember what), I found in the bottom of my bag, a dime. One single dime. I know, that's the perfect place to have money, right? To bad there wasn't any more to be found. Just one little dime. At that time I hadn't shared Mimi's little story with anyone...so getting excited about a dime would have looked as weird to them as it did to me the first time Mimi told me about it. I looked at her and smiled and said, "Look Mimi! Look what I found!" All she could say was, "See, I told you!"

During that week, without seeking them out, I found so many dimes, I started a collection. I told my mother the"Dime story" and she too has started a collection.

There have been many little experiences since Waylon's death that I have found the little, shiny dimes, but I think my most favorite is when my husband shared with me his experience with the "dime story".

He had to go to the feed store for some dog food one day, not too long ago. He was having a particularly difficult day that day. While he was waiting to be helped, he noticed a shiny dime on the floor of the feed store. When it was his turn to be helped, he proceeded to tell the clerk about my silly little dime story. What he didn't expect was her comment after he told her the story. She said, "Well sir, I was just over there vacuuming the floor, and I didn't see that dime!" It must be meant for you!" How sweet! I cried when he told me about it.



Who knew something as simple as a dime could bring a happiness so simple and sweet.

Do I believe the psychic...no, not really...what I believe is that the Lord allows us the opportunity to see the beauty life has to offer in everything. I don't believe finding a simple dime, nickel or penny really meant much to me before...I had very little use for a dime here and there (can't buy much with a single penny, nickel, or dime)...and so I never really took the time to notice the many laying around...discarded for one reason or another, or lost.

After Waylon's death, I realize, there are a lot of things that I took for granted. Many that I wished I hadn't.

Finding dimes...brings a smile to my face...often, I think the Lord recognizes when I need to find one...usually they will turn up on a particularly hard day.

Just like the Lord places a colorful rainbow in the sky after the rain storm or a radiant sunset to close a long day, it's what we choose to see..."There is Beauty All Around"...it's not just where and how we choose to find it, It's Choosing To Find It!

Finding dimes...I think that a very loving and gracious Heavenly Father enjoys seeing the excitement on our faces when we find something so simple that can take even the saddest moment and lighten it for a time.

My latest dime story...

We were having "Family Home Evening" the other night. I set Winston on the carpet in our front room, next to the couch, while we read scriptures. Just as Winston began crawling away, I felt inspired to look in the direction I had just set him. There laid a silver dime! I felt so blessed to have found it...in that particular case for two different reasons. First, because I recognize how much my Heavenly Father loves me, and that He desires to see me smile and happy. And second, because I didn't ignore the prompting...which could have led to Winston finding the dime and putting it in his mouth.

I know that Heavenly Father LOVES me! I know that Waylon LOVES me! I miss him tremendously...But, I know that I will see both my Father in Heaven and Waylon as long as I endure and press forward...seeking to do the right things and finding the beauty in all things~

2 comments:

Tiffanyrose said...

This made me cry on so many different levels. My heart aches for you and Ed. I can not fathom the sadness that you feel at times when you miss your little man. It also made me cry knowing that Waylon is just out of eyesight, almost as if he is playing hide and seek with you. You know he is there, you just can't see him yet. We love you!!

The Yarn Barn said...

That's awesome, like 2 days after I read this Trey picked up a dime he found STUCK in my dryer lint vent thingy, he was excited to have a dime, I just thought about your story. I love your blog, we should get together this summer. Call me.