Sunday, April 3, 2011

'Pen Pals' with the Prophet...

Two weeks ago today, we had stake conference in Taylor. We had the rare opportunity to have an Apostle of God come and speak to us. It was a neat experience for all of us. My children were excited to meet/see this important man. Wesley and Wylee had this idea that if they could write a letter, they were convinced that Elder Cook would hand deliver it for them to President Monson. Wylee informed me of this idea while I was out with the two youngest trying to keep them quiet. She wanted to know how to write our return address on the letter that she had written. When I asked her why, she began to tell me about the letters for President Monson both she and Wesley had written. Not at all convinced that Elder Cook would do this (I was sure that he was much to busy to entertain a couple of kids), and even if he did, I was sure that they would probably not receive a response back like they were hoping for. I started to tell her no, and not to bother him with it....And then, I thought better...what if, these letters really did get there. Clearly, Wesley and Wylee had worked hard on these letters and they had the confidence and faith that the Prophet would get them...I decided to go along with their idea. We were told the previous week in Sacrament meeting that we, as a ward, were to stay after to put the chairs away. So, the kids and I and my sister and brother-in-law and their little kids all stayed after to do so. This left us with the opportunity to shake Elder Cooks hand after. (There were many that had already left and didn't hear them announce that Elder Cook was going to stick around for a while to shake hands and meet with whomever wanted to meet him). I normally DON'T do things like this...but, this was special and I wanted my kids to partake of this rare opportunity! Before I knew it, Wesley had disappeared. It was after the chairs were all put away before he reappeared. I asked him where he went and he said "I went to shake Elder Cooks hand and I gave him the letter I wrote. Then I ask him if he would give it to the Prophet, and he said 'You bet'!" He was so excited. And, I was proud! Proud because I almost told Wes and Wylee NOT to 'bug' him with the letters. Proud because he had such a sweet desire to do something that was so pure and precious. He didn't want or expect anything in return except maybe an acknowledgement. Proud because I KNOW that I have great children that yearn to do the right things despite what the rest of the world or their friends are doing! I love my kids for that! I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for giving me children like that! Children who, have a strong desire to do the right things. This weekend was General Conference. I didn't know it, but the kids have been anxiously waiting to hear the Prophet speak. They were hoping that the President Monson or Elder Cook would say something about their letters. It was so precious. While Ed and I worked in the garden, listening to conference Saturday morning, they were inside watching the different speakers give their talks...I assumed that they were inside playing, or trying to avoid any work that might be asked of them...but when they came outside and told me that they liked Elder Cooks talk and that neither Elder Cook or President Monson had said anything about their letters, I knew that they had been inside listening. (To be honest, I was listening for it as well...I had hoped that for their sakes, those letters would be acknowledged.) I just wanted them to know that despite what the world throws at them, the Lord knows they are here and that He knows them individually! I guess I thought that because of their faith, having their letters acknowledged by a prophet of God, even as busy as he is, would help them understand that truth. Oh, their simple faith! So pure! Sunday we listened to the morning session of conference mostly in the car on our way to the Lodge. We were invited to watch the last session with Brad and Lael, Bob and Christi and the rest of the gang there at the Lodge and my kids were elated! They had been waiting for a long time to return to the ranch. They LOVE it there...it is a special place for many of us! We ate lunch, watched the last session of conference, visited while the children played and then said our goodbyes! On our way home, we stopped at the post office. Wesley went in to retrieve the mail...it had been days since we had stopped to get it. We kept forgetting the post office key! He came running to the car..."President Monson wrote back!!!!" "He wrote me a letter!" With a smile from ear to ear...he kept repeating it! I said, "Yeah right...April Fools!" Neither Ed or I believed him. It was just to unreal. He pulled the cream envelope from the pile of mail and said "Look!" Sure enough...addressed to Wesley M. Ulrich, a letter from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, from the office of the President! WOW! Ed and I just looked at each other. There was nothing to say. Only, I could feel the tears weld up in my eyes. It was so important to him...and Wylee...and me too! What a testimony builder. Heavenly Father knew the importance of these letters. They weren't just important to Wes and Wylee. I needed them to be answered as well. I needed to be reminded that my Father in Heaven remembered that I am still here....and that He isn't too busy to acknowledge me and my little family. Through a Prophet, He let us know that He is here...He does listen...He does loves us...He loves us each VERY MUCH! I am grateful that my children choose to be 'Pen Pals' with the Prophet!

4 comments:

Tiffanyrose said...

Wow, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. What a faith building experience for you and your children and how wonderful that we have a Prophet who is so connected to our Heavenly Father and is so aware of us that he is able to take the time to write back to your children.

Edna Guerrero said...

I should not have read this at school because I have tears rolling down my eyes. What an amazing experience for them that they will cherise forever. AMAZING!!!

Trisha said...

What an awesome testimony builder for you and your kids. I love that. We have an amazing Prophet who really does love us. We have an incredible Father in Heaven who feels the same. :O)

Andee said...

I have tears in my eyes as I write! How precious that is and how wonderful of you to share it with all of us. WE needed to hear it too!