It's late, and I am sure come morning I will regret staying up late to write this, but I feel it was an inspired thought, whispered by that tender spirit in a quiet moment, and I wanted to share it...
I don't know about other mothers, but preparing for church at our house, and expecting to still maintain a sweet, Sabbath spirit, seldom happens! The norm for us on Sunday consists of a lot of yelling... "hurry up and get the animals fed!" "...get dressed!" ...and "did you brush your hair and teeth?" We usually have 2 or 3 kids "practicing Church" (time-out) by the time we get home due to poor listening or fighting! Needless to say Sunday's are often a far cry from spiritual!
Today was no different! However, I will admit that today I didn't care that we were late by a half hour, nor did I care that I didn't get to hear or participate in a single lesson or talk due to a cranky baby! Any other Sunday I would have been angry and pulling my hair out by the end of church!
While I tried to quiet Winston down from a tantrum, I sat on the floor in the "mother's room", not sure anymore what to do for him! (He was angry because the nursery leaders cleaned up all of the toys and he wasn't quite ready to give up the ball he was playing with.) While I sat there watching him scream, and roll around on the floor, I calmly reached out with my hands as if I were going to scoop him up and hold him...He wanted nothing to do with it! He was mad at me! And so he continued to scream and throw himself around. I again reached out to him, and again he protested.
As I waited patiently, (a first for me...normally at this point I would either give him a little tap on the bum to let him know who was in charge, or find Ed and pass him off!) a thought, a very inspired one, came into my mind...
While here on this earth we are given many trials...some greater than others...as we go through each, we might cry, sometimes scream. We might even find ourselves "throwing a tantrum" out of frustration and anger...and all the while, a loving Father in Heaven reaches out with His hands, as if to say, "Come to Me child, I can help." And, just like Winston denied me...kicking and screaming all the while, how often do we turn our backs and continue our tantrum....not wanting to turn the pain and grief we are experiencing over to Him...denying Him the opportunity to help us through the trials we might be experiencing?
As I sat watching Winston 'throw his fit', I thought about how many times in my life I have denied those tender hands that are so often extended to me. And, although I was completely annoyed with Winston and his 'tantrum', how unlikely it was that the Lord would be annoyed with me. He would, as badly as I sometimes act, still open his arms and wait for me to come into His embrace.
How often do we deny Father in Heaven that opportunity to help us find happiness again?
Winston finally gave in and came to me. He climbed into my lap and eventually sat quietly while I sang our song..."Winston I love you, Winston I do...Father in Heaven has sent me to you...."
At that moment, I realized how much our relationships with our children are like our relationships with our Heavenly Father and how often, if we listen, He teaches us through them.
How grateful I am for these sweet spirits He has blessed Ed and I with. How wonderful it is to know that He trusts me enough to raise them. How blessed I feel to be the mother of a child on the other side...one that I will have the opportunity to continue to raise if I remain faithful! I feel very loved indeed!!!
2 comments:
WOW!! You are amazing Sarah. Its so true that we probably deny our Heavenly Father more than we know but he is still there waiting for us.
We need to have you guys over for a cookout or something. I will see you tomorrow at EVAS!!
I love this. I was thinking today that I completely understand why you have 6 children. (Read my blog entry and it will explain why.;))
Post a Comment