Sunday, September 13, 2009

HOPE...

"Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began in the Garden of Eden. This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all other nations in all the world. This is the place where the Savior will come to His temple. This is the favored land in all the world. Yes, I repeat, men may fail, but this nation won't fail. I have faith in America; you and I must have faith in America, if we understand the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are living in a day when we must pay heed to these challenges. I plead with you not to preach pessimism. Preach that this is the greatest country in all the world. This is the favored land. This is the land of our forefathers. It is the nation that will stand despite whatever trials or crises it may yet have to pass through.(Harold B. Lee, Ye Are the Light of the World, 350-51)



I was experiencing one of my "Sunflower Moments" (That's what Lana calls them! She dislikes sunflowers and the time of year they represent...the time of year that precedes the wonderful "winter blues".) Sunflower Moment: a moment in time where everything seems hopeless; depressing. As I was checking my e-mail, I came across a note from my mother with this quote from Harold B. Lee. My "Sunflower Moment" had turned into a "Daisy Moment"! Daisy Moment: Something bright and cheery.



There is hope! All is not lost!



What wise council from a prophet of God, spoken more than 20 years ago!



At times, it does seem hopeless. It's difficult to put one foot in front of the other...but, we keep trying, because what is our option? We are told to endure. Do we give up? NO! Endure...we must endure!

Speaking to the prophet Joseph Smith while in Liberty Jail, God said..."My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high..." D&C 121:7 & 8. In 1 Nephi 13:37 we read "...and if they endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the everlasting kingdom of the Lamb". And then, in the Articles of Faith, 13, we read, "...We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things...". There are so many scripture verses on the topic of enduring! It must be a pretty important thing that our Father in Heaven expects from each of us...Endure!



Ed and I, after taking the kids into the woods yesterday to get firewood, went to the temple with our bishop and his wife. I recognized while I was there that I was enjoying the opportunity I had to serve those families that had long since past on. I had no desire to be anywhere else at that very moment. Even when my tummy was telling me how hungry I was, my spirit starved for the knowledge that one finds at the temple, and so the desire to stay and learn came easily. I don't recall that desire being present when I have attended other times. I've heard others speak of how they love going to the temple...how they can't wait to go back. I enjoy going because I know that I am doing something good and right. But, I have never had the desire or that 'want' to stay like I did last night! There is peace there...a peace that is pure. One longs for that...I long for that! I imagine that the temple is much like Heaven...A Pure, Peaceful, Place of Love and Comfort~HOME!

2 comments:

The Yarn Barn said...

Hey Stranger,
Mike saw Ed the other day and Ed said something about us going out so call me we need to get together. I'm sorry about your last post. That is hard when things like that happen and we are not sure why. I'm glad you guys are doing well. Call me, we are scrapbooking also on Tuesdays or if you dont scrap you can just work on a project. See ya
Brandi

David G. Filhart (a.k.a. the Davey Baby) said...

Awesome!