So, I home school my kids...
I imagined it, in my mind, being much easier!
Just like when I was a kid, I imagined motherhood and how easy IT (playing mommy) would be. In my mind, motherhood was "Yellow Balloons", and "Milk and Cookies"...boy, was I sorely mistaken. However, I wouldn't not change a single moment of "playing mommy" and the roller coaster ride of emotion and physical exhaustion it brings upon me for anything!
This new title I have taken on..."Teacher"...has become more of a learning experience for ME. I am discovering that the "mean mother" (I feel like this often) actually can be a "fun mother" and that learning/teaching experiences come in all sorts of settings/moments with the simplest forms of books, and tools...not just a classroom setting with a set curriculum!!!
This is what I learned today...
Wylee celebrated her 8th birthday with a party of about 13 girls yesterday. One of her presents was the all classic...jump rope! This morning when I took the toy out of its package, she came in and explained to me..."I don't know how to jump rope mom. What will I do with that?" I told her that she could learn and I would teach her.
Wesley thought that it was hilarious that his mother knew how to jump rope! He could hardly quit laughing. In fact when the other kids heard the commotion, they all came down stairs to see mom jumping rope...and doing quite well at it I might add...and they laughed too. I proceeded to let them know that in my 'younger years', I was QUEEN of the Double Dutch contests! I could do all sorts of tricks while jumping rope! They couldn't believe that mom would ever do anything of the sort!
After a good laugh from my children, I taught them all (except for Will Jaye...he was born gifted when it comes to anything sport related) how to jump rope.
They all have been practicing and challenging each other. Even better is the fact that they all have to work together while two twist the rope and the other jumps! I love it! Not only did I show them that mom isn't such a "bump-on-a-log" mother and that she CAN be cool sometimes, I taught them some coordination skills, and how to work together!
I learned today that even though math, spelling and reading are important, so are the simple lessons in life...the ones that often are so trivial and complicated for people...like learning to cooperate with each other, learning how to play together, learning about each other, having fun while you learn and work, TRY, TRY and TRY Again...and when you mess up, or just don't get it, DON'T GIVE UP!!!
Sometimes, "playing mommy" IS "Yellow Balloons and Milk and Cookies"...and boy do I love those moments!
1 comment:
I don't doubt for a second that your an amazing Mom! You had a great teacher of how to be a great Mom!! And I have to admit- I would love to see you jumping rope! I might get a good laugh too!
Post a Comment