Amongst other things, today and yesterday have been rather difficult...Not sure why. A lot on my mind I guess.
I decided yesterday that I am not sure that I like Halloween much. I like the fall colors, leaves, pumpkins and things, but I don't like the way the cemetery and such is viewed as something scary! What I too once thought was a spooky place, I've discovered that it is not that at all. It is scared, holy ground. It is a place of healing for those who have lost dear ones....Peaceful...beautiful...a place that brings the passed to life again.
Yesterday, I thought after the boy's wrestling tournament, that I would drive by the cemetery with the kids. A few of them asked where I was going...I told them..."Waylon's house". I'm not sure where that comment came from...it just came. As I pulled into the cemetery, I was overwhelmed with thoughts of how, to so many, that special place means nothing or is a "scary" place. It is not a place that was intended to be "scary". It was intended to be a place where loved ones could come to feel peace...to reminisce and ponder...to shed tears and heal. It is a place that houses mortal bodies waiting to be reunited with their spirits again.
My heart ached as I drove by and thought about what Halloween, to so many, represents.
It is my calling to put together our Ward Halloween party. We decorated today. We had the typical decor...black, headstones, spooky house mummies, bats, even skeletons...and How I Wish That I Would Have Thought About the Decor...I was trying to create something that would appeal to everyone else something scary and fun...and yet it took away from what I really felt.
Needless to say, I found myself asking Ed to drive with me back to the church building to take down some of what we had worked so hard and many hours on that afternoon! It was MID NIGHT when I made him go with me!!! I couldn't ignore the silly feeling I kept having any longer!
When we arrived, I asked Ed what he thought...thank goodness... he felt exactly what I had been feeling! I had thought that maybe I might be over reacting because of the experience I had at the cemetery just a few days before, but indeed, he was feeling the same way. I love him for that!
So, we took down the head stones, skeletons and anything portraying a cemetery.
Wow...what a difference...Silly, I know!!!
The rest of the Story....
The next day was the Ward Halloween party...A real hit I might add....and boy am I grateful that the spirit prompts the way it does.
I really don't know if the decorations would have made a difference to anyone else, but the spirit prompted, and I listened...and that was what mattered most!
No comments:
Post a Comment