I love when my days are filled to the brim with..."To-do's". There is so much that has to be done in a day, that sometimes I don't know where to even begin.
How does one prioritize their day?
Mine is so crazy that most often I go to bed wondering..."What did I accomplish today?"
Since Ed started school up again, I have been trying to make sure that dinner is done by 5pm so that he gets to eat before class. I've succeeded for the most part. However, he's been so busy with work, that he seldom gets to eat before class because he has been getting home later. Oh well...it will be better for all of us in the long run, I am sure, if I can maintain this schedule.
That was my first goal. The hardest part for me has been deciding on what to make of dinner! Anyone who knows me well knows that I hate the kitchen! I despise cooking, and I loath washing dishes. But, I still try!
My next challenge/goal...that gargantuan pile of papers that sits on the desk! I have got to find a better system! This, however, is bearable to me. I enjoy balancing the checkbook most of the time. I just hate the time that it eats up! It takes forever, and having to toddlers at my feet (most of the time) leaves me with half-finished-jobs frequently! Therefore the pile grows by the minute! Literally! I think my piles look organized but actually it is a mess! I despise this mess almost as much a cooking!
And then there is the laundry! Which I actually enjoy mostly. But, I with eight people in this house, I find myself buried in it most of the time! Sometimes I get the rare opportunity to come up for a breath because the pile isn't as thick or tall! But, most of the time, it too presents itself as a HUGE pile screaming, "I stink and need attention NOW!" as well!
So...my question again. How does a mother do it all? How can I go to bed feeling good about the things that I have accomplished when I look at all of the things around me that I haven't? Hmmmm....
I heard a talk at a Relief Society seminar about prioritizing. The woman speaking said that instead of making a "To do" list, she made a "What's done" list. It's a brilliant solution...I'll have to try it tonight and see if it in fact makes a difference on what I DIDN'T accomplish today!
3 comments:
I can SO RELATE!! I find myself going through "the list" in my head before bed every night! And ya know what, lately I have been spending more "me" time and doing things like attending the temple instead of worrying about my "list". All will get done in time!
I love the idea of a What's Done list. I sometimes put things on my To Do list that I have already done just to cross them off.
Hello, I came here from C. Jane's blog and enjoyed reading about your family. I've been trying to make a change in my home and I have discovered that any progress I make is so slow I usually don't even see it...but progress is progress! Anyway, it's nice to meet you.
Post a Comment