Winston's hand
Wylee's hand's
Wyndel's handI love hands...as if it weren't obvious from prior postings in this blog. There is something so perfect about them. Each is so unique and each has a story to tell...
Wyndel's and Daddy's hand The story about these two hands...
On June 14, 2010, Ed asked me to travel with him to Williamson AZ (near Prescott) to look at a Percheron horse he was interested in. I thought it would be a nice opportunity to go on a "DATE" with my husband since my neighbor offered to watch the kids while we went.
I suppose I should back up a few days...Sunday, June 13, was my mothers 70th birthday and so we decided to take a trip to Mesa to visit her. While there, my sisters and mother put together a surprise baby shower for me. It was a lot of fun and a nice break from the mental torture this pregnancy brought on...which is a story all in itself...(I am certain that many mothers have experienced what I am talking about...the fear of something happening to them or the baby during labor/birth or something going terribly wrong during the pregnancy.)...Anyhow, it was nice to actually enjoy, for a while, the opportunity to be pregnant again.
I had high hopes that this little baby would come while we were there for my mom's birthday...preferably on her birthday. There were a few times that I actually thought 'I should have Ed take me to the hospital'. They would have turned out to be "false alarms" and so I am glad that I didn't! When Sunday evening came to a close and my mom's birthday celebration was over, I decided that this baby wasn't coming while we were there and so we decided to go back home to Taylor....which brings me back to June 15th.
Ed and I thought that the drive to Williamson would only be a total of 6 or so hours. We had not anticipated 91/2 hours of driving and some of it on rough roads...which I am certain is what helped kick in labor! I have to admit, I was a little worried that we would have a baby on the side of the road somewhere between Prescott and Taylor and even caught myself praying that this baby would wait. Once we had picked up the horse (which I have so say is one of the prettiest horses I've ever seen) and we were on our way home, (this time through Flagstaff, which cut our drive substantially) we decided to stop for something to eat and a potty break somewhere just outside of Prescott...but, to our amazement nothing was open (just like in Taylor, EVERYTHING closes at 8pm!!!! AHHHHH) So, my much needed potty break and starving belly would have to wait until we reached Williams just outside of Flagstaff.
As the sun went down, we discovered that the weather there was a little more chilly than the weather in Taylor...Ed's heater knob was broken, and we needed pliers to turn the heat on...of course there were none in his truck and there was no place to stop to purchase some and so we drove in the cold...watching the temperature drop lower and lower...sometimes into the high 30's. Needless to say for a while the drive was miserable! When we arrived in Williams, we stopped at the closest thing open...Mcdonalds...ewww....but it was warm inside, there was a bathroom, and food!!! Yeah!!!
I tried to stay awake for the rest of the drive to keep Ed company, but it was difficult...and the little bits of rest that I did get would prove to be the best sleep that I would get for the next 2 weeks!
When we arrived at Lana's to pick up Winston, (the other kids just stayed the night), it was 1am. We went home and slept (sort of) until 6:30am then the day was off to a new start...Ed had to work, Wesley, Wyatt, Will and Wylee all had swim lessons and I had a ton of things that I wanted to do before this baby came (I think that I knew I was going to have that baby soon!)
As I was getting ready that morning, (June 15th) I could tell things were different, and so I told Ed to be ready to come home in a hurry if I called...(of course, his phone decided to stop working that morning too, and so I had to call his co-workers to get a hold of him). I was so afraid to have this baby somewhere besides the hospital and so I tried to be very careful about where I went that day. After swim lessons, Wylee and I went to get our toe nails painted. When I tried to go to the grocery store to do my grocery shopping, I got to the front doors and decided I better not (I didn't want to be the reason for a "Clean-up on aisle 8") and so I turned around and went home to call my doctor for an apt.
At 3pm that afternoon, Ed and I went to Show Low for my apt. Dr. Tindall said that things looked like they were progressing and since my last three babies were all born rather quickly, we decided to go to the hospital to monitor the contractions I wasn't sure I was even having. (I couldn't tell if I was having them, but knew I felt weird!)
Before we went to the hospital, Ed and I decided to go to the only thing close in Show Low for a few groceries, the local WAL-MART and then to the Boot Barn for some much need jeans for Ed (he had lost so much weight nothing fit him). When we arrived at the maternity ward they had been waiting for us. They hooked up the monitor and the roller coaster ride began...
Yes, I was having contractions...No, I couldn't really feel them...I just felt weird. One would think after having 7 children I would KNOW when I was having contractions, but, I couldn't tell. Most of the labor was that way. Needless to say, that part was easy. It was the waiting patiently that was harder...it was not nearly as quick as the last few labors. Then, when I received the epidural, (which I only received at that moment because I was concerned about laboring to fast and not getting one in time) my blood pressure dropped...which caused me to become sick and throw up...which then caused my water to break...which then concerned the poor nurse because she couldn't find the baby's head (she thought that she had turned in the middle of all of the commotion and was now breech). It was ugly for a bit.
"Dang", I thought, "my perfect, painless labor was beginning to turn into the nightmare I had dreamed about so many times during the pregnancy". When the nurse said, "I can't find the baby's head", my first though was ...'did she disappear'? I wasn't sure what was going on...I couldn't really think straight...I was afraid my nightmare was becoming a reality, and that frightened me A LOT!!! I am not sure how long the nurses worked on straightening out the medications to get my blood pressure back in check, and I am not sure how many times they added more things to the IV to keep it stable, but when they finally did get it under control, I can't tell you the difference it made! No more throwing up, no more weird feelings, YEAH!!!
(I've felt that horrible, sick feeling before...a few times when my body was in shock after an accident, and also after being in the sun too long and becoming too dehydrated, and I don't want to feel it again. YUCK!)
Now we were back to the waiting game...apparently this baby girl had her little hand over her head which made the birthing process more difficult...she didn't want to move down which is why I labored so long! (Funny thing is, in almost every ultrasound picture of her, she has that little arm and hand over her head...even after she was born she laid like that...must be a comfortable position for her.)

After more pitocin and about 16 hours of laboring in the hospital (again, most of which, except for that little while with the blood pressure issue, I didn't feel) Wyndel Sarah-Jane made her appearance! My mom said the nurse came in (around 10:14am), checked for progression, and said, "I am calling the Doctor" (a relief, because each time before, her comment was..."Nothings changed, you are still at a 5!!!!)
Now, was the fun part.
Now, was the fun part.
I think that every mother who has given birth, will admit it's exciting, scary and emotional all at once...knowing that in a few moment's, life will change with the entrance of this new little person. The anticipation of meeting the new someone that has wiggled and kicked for so long inside, is exciting! A wonderful feeling...one that words can not do justice. I love the feeling...It is amongst the reasons I have had so many and would have more if I knew it was the right thing for us to do. There is a peace and a closeness to the veil that, I think, only one whom experiences birth or death can feel. There is a certain silence in the chaotic, a peace that "All Is Well", a precious feeling of love that only a Loving Heavenly Father can give.
Do Daddies feel that same peace and love as they watch their new little baby come into this world? There are so many feelings all at once that picking them apart to write about is difficult.
Dr. Tindall was called, at 10:14am. In the time between then and 10:24am he had left his office across the street, suited up and delivered a baby! I think that just might be record time...at least for me! I have to add this little side note about this doctor...It is wonderful to be apart of a community where many share the same beliefs...wonderful to be able to ask for a blessing in an odd hour of the morning and know that your doctor is worthy to assist your husband in the priesthood blessing. I am certain that is what helped stabilize my blood pressure and calmed my fears.
Finally...
Wednesday, June 16th, her Uncle Wes's birthday,
.jpg)
she was placed in my arms! The nurse rubbed and rubbed at her with a towel to get her to breath. She was very blue when she was born...but aside from looking like a little blueberry, she was perfect, with lots of dark hair, almost black..a rare thing for an Ulrich baby! She was long and skinny...6 pounds 14 ounces and 20 inches long. I think that's pretty good size for being more than 3 weeks early! A beautiful girl...with the Ulrich lips and long toes too.

As she was measured and weighed and poked and tested, the nurse decided she was in need of some extra oxygen. She still looked so blue as I watched them work on her. They did allow me to hold her for a few minutes and I quickly gave her back for fear of her color. She was struggling so much to get used to her new set of lungs and the air we breath! I'd been through this before when Wyatt was born and knew that the 'grunting' noises she was making and the 'pulling in' of her tiny, little chest was not a good thing. So, off to the little "Special Care" nursery she went. I didn't get to feed her, and I am not sure that Ed even got a chance to hold her.
And so that brings us to this little picture...For the first day, we didn't get to hold, let alone touch her much...If she was stimulated too much her breathing would labor again. So, when Ed finally got to hold her, I was able to capture this picture with my cell phone camera...(I wasn't prepared with my "hospital bag"...I wasn't anticipating staying in Show Low that day after my apt. with the doctor and so I didn't bring anything, let alone a camera!)
I love this picture! It says it all...

A Daddy's love for his little girl and a girls love for her daddy!
Notice, that is his pinkie that she is holding...such a tiny, little hand!
Notice, that is his pinkie that she is holding...such a tiny, little hand!
What a joy to have her here.
.jpg)
She stayed in the hospital for the next 10 days on oxygen because of her immature lungs, but finally went home with us in time to go to my grandpa's funeral. I worried so much about not making it to his funeral...I promised him just before he died that I would make it...He specifically asked me if I would come. I am sure that there were plenty of prayers on all of our behalf.

Grandpa died the following Friday...just 4 day's after we went down to visit him and pick up the kids from my moms house (she was tending them for us). I didn't take Wyndel into the hospital to see him because she was still so new and had just been released herself. So he didn't get to meet his newest, great-grandchild...however, I am not sure that he would have remembered anyway...he was, I can't help but think, teetering between this world and the next. He would come to long enough for me to give him a drink of juice and tell me that he loved me. Then he told me to leave! Funny Grandpa...he still had the crabbiness in him that he was so well known for!!! HEE HEE! I love that man!
.jpg)
.jpg)
Now Wyndel is home with us! I love her. We have a different bond her and I...I was privileged to know about her before she was born. A precious experience for me. I again, view this little child as an opportunity to be taught of things from the other side...things of the spirit. I know that as these little children come to gain a body,experiences, and knowledge, they come to teach too. I learn so much from them...especially since Waylon's death. I view things so differently now.
These babies are so pure and perfect. So fresh and new to the ways of this world.
I wish that they could share the things they know from the other side...
I wish that they could tell me about the place they just arrived from!
Who did they talk to and hug before leaving for their earthly journey?
What was it like there?
What a journey I am sure.
.jpg)
Wyndel is so content. Even when they had to poke her for the many different tests they did in the hospital, she was so good, and seldom cried much. I think she likes us and is happy to be here. She listens to our voices and watches us so carefully. Often, I can even talk her out of her little fits. One evening, she was crying and wanted nothing but to nurse. I was so tired of nursing that I finally had to let her cry for a bit so that I could eat too...Finally, I picked her up, looked at her in the face, and told her she was not being very nice to me and that she needed to quit. Almost immediately, she did just that and fell asleep for night.
I wish that I could calmly talk my other children into listening like she does!!!
Maybe she is here to teach them a thing or two too!
No comments:
Post a Comment