"When I grow up I want to be a mother, And have a family
One little, two little, three little babies of my own.
Of all the jobs, for me I'll choose no other.
We'll have a family
Four little, five little, six little babies in my home.
And I will love them all day long
And give them cookies and milk and yellow balloons.
And cuddle them when things go wrong
And read them stories and sing them pretty tunes.
When I grow up if I can be a mother
How happy I will be
One little, two little, three little babies I can love.
And you will see each sister and each brother
Who look a lot like me
Four little, five little, six little blessings from above."
I think that for as long as I can remember, this was my theme song!
This is all I have ever wanted.
Upon being asked this question..."What do you want to be when you grow up?", I would respond, "Without a doubt, a mother!"
Not a nurse, however, that was a very popular career choice amongst the girls in my class at school.
Not a police"woman".
Not a Teacher.
Not a Designer...yet another popular choice.
Of all the jobs, for me I'll choose no other.
We'll have a family
Four little, five little, six little babies in my home.
And I will love them all day long
And give them cookies and milk and yellow balloons.
And cuddle them when things go wrong
And read them stories and sing them pretty tunes.
When I grow up if I can be a mother
How happy I will be
One little, two little, three little babies I can love.
And you will see each sister and each brother
Who look a lot like me
Four little, five little, six little blessings from above."
I think that for as long as I can remember, this was my theme song!
This is all I have ever wanted.
Upon being asked this question..."What do you want to be when you grow up?", I would respond, "Without a doubt, a mother!"
Not a nurse, however, that was a very popular career choice amongst the girls in my class at school.
Not a police"woman".
Not a Teacher.
Not a Designer...yet another popular choice.
I will admit however, for a while in high school and my first year at MCC, it intrigued me a bit and I did take some classes having to do with interior design (yeah...I know...one would never guess that now...especially upon seeing my skills in decorating my own home!)
But...I never did loose sight of the fact that I wanted to be "just a mom".
I, with the help of my husband of course, have accomplished that.
I am a mother of 7 beautiful, brave, boisterous babes!
And I love them!
Each one of them!
I wouldn't trade my job for any other.
Oh sure, there are moments...a lot of them...when I wonder "how can I possibly handle all of the messes, the clean up, the homework, the 'taxing'...the chaos?".
But, at the end of the day when I lay on the couch exhausted, with my 3 year old on one side of me, playing with my hair, and my 1 year old on the other snuggling me while I listen to my 4 older children discuss with each other the "remember whens", I feel nothing but JOY.
Of course none of this would be possible without a Loving Father in Heaven. He has blessed and continues to bless me and my family with an immeasurable amount of love.
But...I never did loose sight of the fact that I wanted to be "just a mom".
I, with the help of my husband of course, have accomplished that.
I am a mother of 7 beautiful, brave, boisterous babes!
And I love them!
Each one of them!
I wouldn't trade my job for any other.
Oh sure, there are moments...a lot of them...when I wonder "how can I possibly handle all of the messes, the clean up, the homework, the 'taxing'...the chaos?".
But, at the end of the day when I lay on the couch exhausted, with my 3 year old on one side of me, playing with my hair, and my 1 year old on the other snuggling me while I listen to my 4 older children discuss with each other the "remember whens", I feel nothing but JOY.
Of course none of this would be possible without a Loving Father in Heaven. He has blessed and continues to bless me and my family with an immeasurable amount of love.
As I watch them grow, I wonder if I will ever be able to give them all of the tools in life that they will need to be successful...spiritually, mentally and physically.
I imagined, due partly to my "childhood theme song", that motherhood would be "cookies and milk and yellow balloons". For sure that meant that
motherhood would be fun, easy, and loaded with good times....I mean come on...cookies and balloons? What's not fun about those two things?
Well, it is definitely loaded with plenty good times, but easy and fun????? Hmmm...fun sometimes, easy...NOT!
With each passing day, I realize that we are not in this parenting thing alone. Father in Heaven has more of a vested interest in these little spirits that He sends to us. Each of them were His long before they became ours.
Heavenly Father isn't going to leave us stranded in this of "School of Parenting" to figure things out for ourselves. He has every intention of reuniting us as families on the other side, as long as we are doing our part, and therefore, if we listen, He gives us all of the instructions we need.
I know that the spirit will whisper to my mind the things that I need to know as their mother so that I can help them learn and grow. If I listen, I can be inspired to know what each of my children's needs are and how I can help them.
It's hard though to listen.
It's easier to give in to old habits and do what I think is best instead of listening to what the Lord would have me do!
(I often give in and yell because it's easier than trying to listen and calmly address each situation with the proper attention. I allow myself to become way to busy with the "less important" things!)
...SIGH...
But...I don't give up!
I'm a mother!
I'm important with an important job!
A job that is by far the best job of all!
Motherhood...
2 comments:
I love this. My Mom growing up always worked. I missed her daily. Before I got married I vowed if the Lord would allow me to have children I would raise them and be there for them and with them at home. It has been hard. Motherhood has not come naturally to me. What's been hard is the change that has occurred within my soul, it is and has been a refining fire. My family life today is very different from the one I had growing up...there is love at home. There is everything else any family struggles with, of course, but the amount of love is astonishing...I never thought the Lord could bless me so richly. Thank you for posting again.
Oh great...now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day! :) Thank you for the comment on my blog. I can't remember if I told you this or not, but I came and read most of your blog after your C. Jane comment and have thought of you and your beautiful family many times since then. I have also thought about how at baptism I promised to mourn with those that mourn. Even though we don't know each other, I have mourned some because of your loss of your sweet Waylon. You have had some difficult grief work to do. I'm so sorry. You are a wonderful mother!
Post a Comment