This "Tummy Bug" has taken it's tole on our entire family this week. It has really hit Ed hard. The last time he was this sick, we spent a couple of days between Urgent Care, and the Emergency Room.
A few nights ago, Ed had a migraine and was extremely sick to his stomach. He asked me what I thought he should do...because he was sick to his stomach he couldn't eat anything and therefore couldn't take his prescription for the headache.
While he sat on the floor in the bathroom helpless, he again asked me, "What should I do?" The only thing that I could think of was the same thing that I tell the kids every time they have a nightmare, feel afraid, or feel sick themselves. "Say a prayer, Heavenly Father will help!" However, I felt a little stupid telling my husband this. When I finally told Ed, "You could say a prayer", we both kind of snickered. It's the obvious thing to tell my kids, but for some reason, it seemed so...silly, childish, and odd telling my husband this... Anyway, we did say a prayer. Then I went in and made him some toast and got him a drink of water.
Since I was wide awake, I decided that I would pick up my scriptures...not knowing were to start reading, I opened up The Book of Mormon to the index and the first word that appeared was "PEACE". It intrigued me, and so I started to read through the different scriptures that it listed...Mosiah 4:3 sounded good and so I flipped through the pages to look for it. Only, when I turned to read the verse, I turned to Mosiah 3:4 and read..."For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath judged of thy righteousness..."
Was it really possible that He heard me, and that He was letting me know that everything would be fine? It was just a little prayer, asking Heavenly Father to help Ed feel better.
I have never really had one of those neat experiences that I hear frequently happening to others...you know the kind where one might have a question and so he/she turns to the scriptures and finds an answer immediately upon opening them up.
Here Ed and I sat snickering like school kids because of my idea to ask Heavenly Father for help with something that seemed so small and so...awkward. And yet, we chose to pray and ask for His help even though it seemed so small and awkward. Needless to say, Ed was able to take some pain medication, hold it down and sleep for the rest of the night.
I too slept better knowing that the Lord just answered the prayer of my heart...He hears me...He hears even the little awkward prayers.
Mosiah 4:3 "...the Spirit of the Lord came upon them, and they were filled with joy...having peace of conscience, because of the exceeding faith which they had in Jesus Christ..."
So there it is...a lesson for me in prayer. He is ALWAYS listening!
Though often I doubt the faith that I have, I do believe that the Lord hears and answers all of our prayers. I have heard frequently, especially lately, that our prayers are often answered in ways that we may not understand...unexpected ways and lots of times in His time not ours.
I often reflect on the day that Waylon passed. I remember praying that He would allow Waylon to stay with us...it wasn't what the Lord had in mind and in so many ways, ways that have been revealed as time has passed, he needed to go so that Ed and I, our children, family and friends could learn so many things. I'm sure that there are still things that we are to learn from this experience too. It really is amazing how the Lord works.
2 Nephi 28:30 For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom ; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.
So, I am learning..."here a little and there a little".
2 comments:
I love that little story. Sometimes its the little things that bring us the greatest joy. Thanks for always being such a great example to me and thanks for always having such a positive outlook on things..
Sarah, you amaze me. There are so many ways I wish I could be like you. You are so sweet, kind, patient, and most of all you listen and are trying to be come like Jesus. I love to hear tidbits about your experiences, it makes me realize I am not alone. The Lord has truly blessed your lives, and ours through difficult times. We love you guys, and admire your strength.
Post a Comment