If I didn't know any better, I'd say Hell itself was coming...Ed had school tonight and so he didn't get home until late. I had already gone to bed...(Winston thinks when the sun comes up, that means he is supposed to get up, needless to say morning comes early around here!) Any how, Ed came in around 11:30 and said..."Do you think that we should cover those couches outside?"(a friend gave us a couch set when they moved, and we hadn't taken them off of the trailer yet.) My body said "NO" but I couldn't see those perfectly good couches getting ruined all because I was too tired to move!
So...he put on his boots, and I threw on a jacket and my crocs, and we together, went outside to put a tarp over the couches...It was surprisingly calm (it's been windy all day...some gusts enough to blow any large man over) and smelled like rain. When Ed looked up, he pointed at the sky in the West and said..."Do you think that looks threatening enough?" With the moon being almost full, It was quite the sight. The moon was so bright, it almost looked like the crack of dawn. We have lived here for a number of years now and I have to say, that there has only been one other time while we have been here, where I was actually afraid of a storm. If I knew that my mother was not asleep, I would have called her. The sky looked very scary. There was a stripe of black over the top of us that extended just beyond our house from the West to the East. In the East, where the dark ended, wisps of black reached downward like fingers.
While we were outside, suddenly a cold, cold wind started to pick up again...throwing bits of leaves and dirt around...We quickly finished and came inside. I know, it sounds silly, but it was quite the sight to behold. It really did look, with those deep black, wispy clouds, like Hell itself was going to spring on us at any moment.
A thought crossed my mind...It is said that the Lord will come again like a thief in the night...when the sky's look so threatening, I always have that same thought cross my mind. Is a storm of rage and fury literally going to happen before he comes again? When I hear and read the stories in the Old Testament about Christ's Crucifixion there were storms of great magnitude that filled the sky's...
My brothers and sisters would always tease me as a child because I was afraid of storms...It's not like that now, but when I see things like this, I have to admit, some of those fears begin to creep in again...who wouldn't be a little afraid...I think even Ed might have been a little concerned.
We have been in the middle of a micro burst, that leveled our first home that were building in Casa Grande. We had all of the outer walls and some of the inner walls framed...when that thing hit, the only warning it gave was a brief moment of dead calm and then without another warning, it grabbed a hold of our home and literally pulled the walls off of the foundation...(the walls were bolted to the ground). The only walls that remained standing were the two that Ed and his brother Elliot spent so much time bracing up. There was no sympathy from that storm. Later, when someone from the fire department across the street came over to check on us, he told us that the very same storm had rolled a number of trailers right off of their foundations and into the middle of the road.
Years later, Ed and I had to speak in church and I used the experience as an analogy to our testimonies. Are they built on a solid foundation and braced with spiritual goodness, or will we find ourselves flattened on the ground, when the storms rage against us?
I am grateful...my husband has built us such a beautiful, strong home this time...! I am grateful that I have had so many trying things happen in the last year and that my testimony has been tested and strengthened. Although there are many times that I wonder if my own testimony is braced very well to the foundation it has been built upon, I am sure that as long as I keep trying to do the right things...reading the scriptures, praying, listening to the Prophets voice, and the voice of the tender, sweet Holy Spirit, that prompts only good, I will be o.k.
Let's hope that this storm only dumps a little rain, and then passes us by...I am not ready for the Savior to come to my house, it's a mess!
2 comments:
You are such a beautiful writer. You should write a book...I would buy it, I love reading your posts. I sure miss you, wish you were here to see the little progress we have made on the house.:)
Some special thoughts on storms also come from our leaders: "You can find peace amidst the storms that threaten you. Then you will be better able to help others—those who are working, in their turn, to find a safe harbor from the storms that rage about them."
Joseph B Wirthlin. "Develop Faith to Prepare for Life’s Storms. How important it is during troubled times, when we are tested, that we do not do anything to lose the Holy Ghost’s gentle persuasions, comfort, peace, and direction. These impressions will help us make the correct choices in life in order to weather the storms and bring us closer to God’s ways." Robert D Hales. I love our leaders and draw great strength from their example and counsel. Keep up the great writing you're doing. :D<- MOM
Post a Comment